Saturday 9 May 2020

Day 48: Angle Shades Moth



Moths are insects I must learn more about, being much more familiar with their butterfly cousins. Both are in the same order of Lepidoptera, meaning 'scale-wings' and both have equally fascinating life-cycles, colours and habits. This moth, which I rescued from inside our garage, hiding it under a rose leaf, is an angle shades, identified with the help of a friend. I think this must be a particularly fresh individual as, apparently, the green bands quickly fade to a 'dirty brown'.

Although this is a common species, I can't say that I have knowingly seen one before, and I think the patterning is rather beautiful. The folded wings when at rest are to give the impression of a dried leaf and when in flight, these moths favour the flowers of grasses. The caterpillars will feed on a range of herbaceous plants, including nettles and brambles.


References:
Chinery, M (2005) Collins Complete Guide to British Insects, HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.

No comments:

Post a Comment