Sunday 26 April 2020

Day 34: Himalayan Cranesbill


Today. the first of my cranesbills began flowering, Himalayan cranesbill 'Gravetye' or Geranium himalayense 'Gravetye'. The blue petals with prominent veins, beginning as cream then merging to deep pink as they sprawl from the centre of the flower caught my eye last year, although I must confess that I had completely forgotten I had bought and planted them.

There are many varieties of cranesbill, or geranium, that are absolutely loved by bees. Some are native species, like the gorgeous meadow cranesbill that can be found along road verges and in meadows, others are not. Neither of the varieties I have are native, but they are still an absolute hit with bees of all shapes and sizes, none the less.

A quick point about cranesbills, geraniums. They should not be confused with pelargoniums, often sold under the name of geraniums, that are completely different and not particularly beneficial for wildlife at all.

References:
Thomas, A. (2017) Gardening for Wildlife, Bloomsbury Publishing PLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment